Friday, January 8, 2021

Crystals

 A few days ago I learned that Zed got a nature camera for his birthday in September.  I'm not sure how I missed that... anyhow, it has yet to be set up.  That camera could answer so many footprint questions.  It could also answer how the peanut butter on the mouse traps in the cellar keeps disappearing without the traps being sprung.  I hope to encourage that camera set up over the weekend.  Happy things for today:

  • There is a small stream that runs through the property.  It is easy enough to walk over in most areas, except during mud season.  At least that has been my observation in the eight or nine months since we moved here.  I expect to either put some boards over or strategically place some rocks where I tend to cross it most.  Today the stream is running.  There is ice only where it tends to spread on flatter areas.  The ice is crystal clear except for those crystal lines.  😉

Ice.
  • There have been so many footprints since the last snowfall.  I haven't seen turkey prints in a while though.  I did notice some small bird prints today.  They were maybe four centimeters long?  This is the part of my walk when I again thought I should bring a ruler.  I put my trekking pole down by the prints to give myself a frame of reference.  Did you know trekking poles tend to have measurements painted along them?  😄
Small bird prints.

  • While walking there was a sound like either someone in the distance banging something or a woodpecker.  Something knocking.  I never saw it but took the picture below while trying to figure it out.  Not sure what it was, but I like the picture.


  • It has been two days since I moved the plants into the basement.  They seem to be doing fine, so far.  The plant light is on a timer and is on for twelve hours a day.  I hope that is enough.  
  • It is Minecraft night.  
  • I found this website with a list of names of different types of ice.

Currently reading: The Backyard Homestead Seasonal Planner, by Ann Larkin Hansen.

Currently listening to : The Nightingale, by Kristin Hannah.

Stay safe.

2 comments:

  1. Yay for website with names of different types of Ice! Years ago Im ead “Smilla’s since of snow”. This sight brought up fond memories of reading.

    ReplyDelete

Happy New Year's Eve!

 Here it is, my final blog of the year.  2021 has been a long year.  I wrote a little personal review of my year and posted it in my Odds an...