Thursday, January 7, 2021

Footprints in the Snow

 This morning I remembered that there are plants downstairs that needed tending.  Visiting the cellar will hopefully become a part of my morning routine.  I had a little bit of dirt that I put some marigold seeds into.  Keziah picked up a cat grass kit that I added water to today to start growing too.  

Other things today that made me happy:
  • Finding a different type of footprint, I think.  One thing that I keep reminding myself is that the snow can distort the prints.  This set has five toes instead of four.  Even with the track-card I am still having a hard time identifying footprints.  These could be a skunk, a grey squirrel, or something else...


  • Another thing I saw was what seemed like a mouse superhighway.  Many small footprints that crossed over the trail.  So glad that these prints were on the opposite side of the property than the house

  • Every month the current SCA royals hold a virtual court to recognize people in the Kingdom for their service and participation within the organization.  There are different levels of awards and people can dress in garb to attend.  During the weeks leading up to the court a team of people record the Zoom meetings that will then be pieced together and cleaned up for everone to see.  Tonight I joined one and got to see some people I know get awards.  Congrats to them!
Winston is looking out a window at the top.  
Nanni was looking up but got distracted by the computer.


Currently reading: The Backyard Homestead Seasonal Planner, by Ann Larkin Hansen.

Currently listening to : The Nightingale, by Kristin Hannah. This is one I started listening to a while back and had to return.


Stay safe!









2 comments:

  1. Five toes could also be fisher! I am still terrible at identifying animal tracks, but have found the book Tracking & the Art of Seeing, by Paul Rezendes, to be helpful. (It covers other signs like scratches and scat in addition to tracks.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel have so many nature related books, but if I have something about tracking, I haven't found it yet. Thank you for that recommendation! The only reason I was ruling out a fisher was that the print seemed longer than the fisher drawing on the Pocket Guide to NH Animal Tracks. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Happy New Year's Eve!

 Here it is, my final blog of the year.  2021 has been a long year.  I wrote a little personal review of my year and posted it in my Odds an...