Saturday, January 9, 2021

Goulash

 Foodies.  I don't understand them.  My palate is rather bland and certainly not refined.  Zed and Gideon have such utter enthusiasm over food and the flavors, textures, and nuances that I don't get.  I will refuse to eat something because of the texture, even if I like the flavor.  I've improved some over the years.  I've been able to love some Mexican and Chinese food that I would find too spicy or something before.  I remember not liking pizza or any cheese.  Hearing Zed and Gideon prepare dinner and discuss recipes though, is a treat.  They experiment and enjoy the process of preparing the food they are making.  It is sometimes inspiring for me, but always enjoyable to witness.  Tonight they made goulash and it was delicious.  Other happy things for today:

  • The clouds in winter when they can be looked at and it is obvious they are icy.
  • I wrote a short little rhyme the other day.  The rhyme itself is not a happy thing, that I did the thing and wrote something that could be considered a poem is my happy.  I was hoping for a poem a week.

I wanted to write a poem

Something happy, joyful and light

Instead a mob trashed the Congress

And all my ideas seem trite

  • Out of the mouth of Gideon (almost nine years old), "You know, 2020 may have been a horrible year, but there were some really great accomplishments...  It was the pause of a lot of good things and the start of a lot of good things for us."
  • Bel and I fixed a leaky pipe in the cellar today.  I also put up a second light for the plants.  Bel suggested I put up some plastic walls in my little plant corner to help keep the area warm.  I'm going to give it a little time without and see how it goes.
  • TF and I played Minecraft last night but the server crashed--while our characters were under water.  This morning I woke up earlier than I wanted and decided to try to get back in and see if my character was alive.  It was, and TF and I played for a while this morning to make up for last night.  Later in the day, I took a nap.
  • Nanni, the tabby I keep saying is gray but apparently is brown, had a follow-up appointment with the vet today.  She is fine, she had some conjunctivitis when we brought her home from the shelter.  The good bill of health meant that she could officially be adopted today and is no longer a foster kitty. 
  • Winston, the orange tabby, does somersaults.  We aren't sure why, but he doesn't seem to be in pain.  It is hilarious to watch.  

Growing against the grain.

Up!

Soft icy clouds.

What was left of my goulash and bread.
I finished it.


Currently reading: The Backyard Homestead Seasonal Planner, by Ann Larkin Hansen.

Currently listening to : The Nightingale, by Kristin Hannah.


Wear a mask.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Happy New Year's Eve!

 Here it is, my final blog of the year.  2021 has been a long year.  I wrote a little personal review of my year and posted it in my Odds an...