Monday, January 25, 2021

As the Earth Freezes

Much of today I spent off task researching apps to help increase personal productivity.  This was obviously a counterproductive endeavor, especially since I didn't end up choosing and downloading any apps.  Then, when I started doing the online course I've been working on, I fell asleep.  Happy Monday?  😉  Eventually I got outside for a walk.  Here are some happy, and perhaps interesting, observations.
  • In the winter as the ground freezes rocks sometimes retreat deeper into the earth.  What I expect is happening is the wet soil expands while freezing and the heavy rocks sink down into the wet soil that is under and not frozen.  This doesn't explain why others don't seem to have this problem at all or why, as any New England driver knows, rocks heave up when frozen under roads.  My Google energy fails with this search.  
Down it goes!

  • Gideon has been making up a card game all on his own.  I'm looking forward to learning it.
  • The turkey tail mushrooms are cold too.

 
Reach for the sky!

The nearby swamp seems frozen over.
I wonder if there is a pond nearby that people ice skate at.




Currently reading: The Backyard Homestead, by Carleen Madigan.

Stay safe!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Happy New Year's Eve!

 Here it is, my final blog of the year.  2021 has been a long year.  I wrote a little personal review of my year and posted it in my Odds an...