Wednesday, May 19, 2021

New Plants

There are things I should have done outside before the weather got hot.  Now I must work harder at getting up earlier.  Today I did okay with that.  I got up earlier than I have been and was out of the house a little after eight this morning.  My goal for what I wanted to accomplish was not reached, but I am a lot closer.  I also have more ideas that I hope to implement in this area where my strawberry and blueberry plants are.

This picture is my 'before' one.

This is during.
I'm trying to remove as many weeds as 
possible while retaining as much dirt as I can.
Removing grubs is also important.

This is where I ended before having lunch.
The blueberry plant is just about two feet farther I think.
I'm not sure how much more I will do after the blueberry plant.

Getting this far weeding is a happy for today, here are some more:

  • Gideon came outside and helped me get to the finish-for-the day spot l decided on for weeding as well as the cutting and placing of the burlap.  He was a great helper!
  • Walking around the yard today for measuring purposes Keziah and I noticed some more lilacs.  Looking through the window I wasn't positive that they were white lilacs or maybe some other flowering plant.  This means there are lilacs along the road in the front of the house, between one of the neighbors and us, and behind the house.  No wonder all the yards smell like lilacs!  



  • A new to me plant (at least I don't remember it from before) seems to be called naked broomrape (NY Times article).  It is also called cancer root.  The scientific name is Orobanche uniflora.  Whatever it is called it is still a parasitic plant, it eats other plants.  Soon it will be relocated to the Japanese knotweed or some similar area of unwanted plants and away from my blueberry plant.  Learning new things. 👍
Naked broomrape lacks chlorophyll.
  • Another plant that I am not sure was there or not last year, Lens identified as a type of sage or a clary.  I need to do more research on it, but I am too tired for that tonight!
Sage?


  • Just before dark I went outside to take the finished-for-the-day picture of the strawberry area progress that I hadn't taken earlier.  It was good timing.  I remembered to water the plants, picked up a few things I had forgotten from earlier, and got to enjoy a few moments of the sunset.


Currently reading: The Burgess Book of Nature Lore, by Thornton W. Burgess.

Stay safe!

 Below is the list of YouTube videos from the wildlife camera and when they will be available.  This is likely the last time I will be posting a list like this.  Please subscribe there if you are interested.  Really cool things, I'll post here too.  The links below will only work after the time listed for the video.  Thank you for reading and watching.

Chipmunk public on May 19, 2021 at 8 PM.

Deer drinking public on May 20, 2021 at 8 PM.

Deer eating public on May 21, 2021 at 8 PM.

Maybe two deer public on May 22, 2021 at 8 PM.

Gopher public on May 23, 2021 at 8 PM.

Racoon public on May 24, 2021 at 8 PM.

Blue jay public on May 25, 2021 at 8 PM.

Blue jay public on May 26, 2021 at 8 PM.

Deer at night public on May 27, 2021 at 8 PM.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Happy New Year's Eve!

 Here it is, my final blog of the year.  2021 has been a long year.  I wrote a little personal review of my year and posted it in my Odds an...