Sunday, June 13, 2021

Self Care

Yesterday was hard.   I may not have realized how hard until this morning when I thought about all the people at the yard sale event that I saw and all the ones that I didn't see.  There were people that I spent time with and some that I wanted to spend time with but just didn't have the opportunity or our paths didn't cross at the right time or... or... or.  We are coming out of a pandemic and being with people is way harder now for me than it was before.  It wasn't easy before.  This morning I spent alone in my room recuperating.  I did pull myself up and start being an active member of the house around noon.  After that, there are a few happy things for my to share:

  • After helping Zed move some of his things around I went to the garden.  The woodchuck was in there!  I scared it out and looked at the hole that we have twice filled with cat litter and it was indeed dug out again.  Keziah found some metal screen and Zed and I closed in that hole using dirt, the screen, and a big rock.  This doesn't get rid of the animal, but it is a start, and that is good.
  • While Keziah was cleaning the shed she found the can crusher that once belonged to my father.  He had a little man cave in the cellar of his house where he drank beer and his friends would come by and visit.  The can crusher was attached to a bench in the cellar and Keziah remembers visiting with her grandfather and getting to crush the cans.  I think when he knew the grandchildren would be there he would let the cans back up so the grandchildren would have something to do.  She doesn't drink beer and was commenting that the can crusher won't crush the tall iced tea cans that she might drink.  It was a touching memory of my dad.

It was a rusted thing that Keziah cleaned up and
painted last year before mounting it onto her bench.

  • The yarrow is blooming.  I feel like there is more this year than last year.  
Bees like the yarrow.

  • While going to get the SD card from the wildlife camera I did a quick walk around the property.  I found a plant that looked familiar from last year but I couldn't remember what it was so I took a picture.  A little farther down the path and there were more, but this time with flowers.  
Lens identifies this as whorled loosestrife.
So far in my research this doesn't seem to be invasive.
That said, we have quite a bit on the property.

  • Turkeys!  34 second video.

Gobble, gobble.

  • Deer prints.


  • Blueberries in the wild.

Lowbush blueberry.

Currently reading: The Backyard Homestead Seasonal Planner, by Ann Larkin Hansen.

Thank you for reading.  Stay safe.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Happy New Year's Eve!

 Here it is, my final blog of the year.  2021 has been a long year.  I wrote a little personal review of my year and posted it in my Odds an...