Sunday, June 13, 2021

Firefly

 It was a day full of people.  We hosted a yard sale for SCA people.  This meant that people brought garb that no longer fit them, fabric that they didn't need, swords, feast gear, and the like.  I don't know how well people did with their sales, many people came just to be able to spend time with others.  There were so many wonderful hugs.  The first person that I shared a hug with I hadn't seen in well over a year and I almost cried.  It was so good to see them.  Later, she and I talked and we may start hiking together this summer.  Other happy things for the day:

  • It was wonderful to see everyone.  I didn't spend as much time with some of the people as I would have liked.  At the same time, so many people (I don't think there were more than forty people at the same time) that I am not used to being around, was a bit overwhelming.  It was okay though, I made it through.
  • When things were winding down Zed noticed the cherry tree was attracting birds and that many of the cherries were close to ripe.  One of the attendees and Zed decided it was time to pick some and the attendee took the ladder and climbed the tree.  He picked quite a few cherries.  I noticed that many were rotting on the tree even though they hadn't become ripe.  Tomorrow we will go through the cherries more closely.  I tried one (one more than last year) that was not quite ripe enough and it was a bit too tart still.  The birds didn't get them all this year though.  Yay!
Up in the Tucker the Cherry Tree.

A sampling of how they look.

  • Gideon had many friends to play with today.  He seemed to do a great job of playing with them and keeping them all happy.
  • One gentleman brought bracelets that he handed out to people who were vaccinated.  


  • A few friends were able to stay late and visit.  Stories and laughter were shared.  
  • Eventually a few lightning bugs began to make an appearance.  
  • Saying goodbye to friends I noticed the moon low in the sky.  It was the tiniest sliver, though the camera makes that sliver look larger.  The whole circle of the moon could be seen.
The moon phase is a waxing crescent and 
according to the internet, it is at 6.7%.

  • After everyone was gone I pulled out the Canon camera in an attempt to get better pictures of the moon.  That didn't happen because I have a hard time being completely still.  I was able to capture some of the fireflies in motion.


I know it is hard to see, but there are three dots on the right corner that is a firefly.

The brighter, moving dots are the fireflies in this picture.


Currently reading: The Backyard Homestead, by Carleen Madigan.

Thanks for reading, stay safe.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Happy New Year's Eve!

 Here it is, my final blog of the year.  2021 has been a long year.  I wrote a little personal review of my year and posted it in my Odds an...