Thursday, April 29, 2021

Happy Rain Day

 Last year, our first in this home, the deer, other animals, and insects consumed more of the garden than the humans.  Today we began the process of putting up a deer net around the garden.  I had visions of getting some pretty wood posts to attach the netting.  The price of an eight to ten foot pole, plus the labor to place it, meant that wasn't going to happen this year.  We used metal conduit pipes that we already had to get almost half the garden enclosed.  We need more conduit, but they are way cheaper than wooden posts.  So it is a bit of a hack job, but I think it will work.  

Zed and I, putting up the netting.
Photo courtesy of Keziah.

The netting is really hard to see.
  • Within minutes of us walking away from the garden, birds flew in.  They didn't get caught, but they were mad that the netting was there.  The happy part of this is that they seemed to learn that it was an obstacle and flew around it fairly quickly.  Later, I tied some ribbons randomly to the net, hopefully that will help them see it.
  • Keziah and Zed had chiropractor appointments this afternoon and their second vaccine this evening so Gideon and I got to spend time together.  In the afternoon I wanted to go to the bank so we stopped at a park nearby to play Pokemon Go.  It was raining so that seemed like a good plan.  Unfortunately Gideon couldn't get the game to work on his iPad.  Instead, we walked around the playground.  I think that was more fun.



  • In the evening Gideon was playing on the computer.  I was playing with the cats and had a Disney song stuck in my head.  Instead of stumbling over the words I found the movie, Sleeping Beauty, and put it on.  So I danced to the songs while playing with the cats.  
  • After feeding the cats I sat down to watch the movie.  With no prompting, Gideon joined me on the couch and we snuggled and watched the rest of it.  
It was a lovely rainy day.



Currently reading: The Backyard Homestead, by Carleen Madigan.
    And suddenly I am at the chapter on growing grains and now I want to grow grains.  🤣😜🚜 Who even am I??

Stay safe.






Other happy things for today:


No comments:

Post a Comment

Happy New Year's Eve!

 Here it is, my final blog of the year.  2021 has been a long year.  I wrote a little personal review of my year and posted it in my Odds an...